You may suspect you have dry, oily, or sensitive skin, but do you really know your skin type? Knowing your true skin type can help the next time you’re in the cosmetics aisle. In fact, using the wrong products for your skin type could worsen acne, dryness, or other skin problems.
Building a daily skin care routine
No matter what your skin type is, a daily skin care routine can help you maintain overall skin health and improve specific concerns like acne, scarring, and dark spots. A daily skin care routine has four basic steps you can do once in the morning and once before you sleep.
- Cleansing: Choose a cleanser that doesn’t leave your skin tight after washing. Don’t clean your face more than twice a day. If you have dry skin and don’t wear makeup, clean once only.
- Serums:A serum with vitamin C or growth factors or peptides would be better in the morning, under sunscreen. At night, retinol or prescription retinoids work best
- Moisturizer: Even oily skin needs moisturizer, but use one that is lightweight, gel-based, and non-comedogenic, or doesn’t block your pores. Dry skin may benefit from more cream-based moisturizers.
- Sunscreen:Apply sunscreen with at least 15 minutes before heading outdoors, as it takes a while for sunscreen to activate.
Start with a basic and simple routine to see how your skin reacts. And don’t forget to patch test new products, especially if you suspect you have sensitive skin. This can help you identify potential allergic reactions.
To patch test a new product:
- Apply a small amount of product on your skin in a discreet area, such as the inside of your wrist or your inner arm.
- Wait 48 hours to see if there’s a reaction.
- Check the area at 96 hours after application to see if you have a delayed reaction.
An allergic reaction may include irritation, redness, small bumps, or itchiness. If you notice these symptoms, wash the area you tested with water and a gentle cleanser.
Choose products that fit your skin type and sensitivity, and remember to read the labels. Crystolite Pharmaceutical offers products, which are best for all skin types. We offer all the relevant info and data to our customers.